Monday 9 December 2013

Festive Casual Dressember

If I hadn't already roped my friends into as many clubs as they are willing to entertain, I would start a Christmas party club so that I would have a good excuse to thrift a fancy dress!  As it is, I am fortunate to have several festive events but all are more casual than formal.  Still, I want a little something festive in my ensembles to hint of holidays!

This weekend, I had two holiday casual parties.  Here is what I wore to my work party...
Red wool skirt $4.90 VV Boutique
Blue sweatshirt $2 Hope Missions Bargain Shoppe
Scarf of every-colour-I-adore is from Anthropologie.  
It jumped right in with my bedding.  Don't know how that happened.

I could have alternately titled this post: "I couldn't bend at my party" or "The skirt that fit for a day that I wore anyway" because that beautiful red wool pencil skirt is a mighty tight fit!  I bought it a while ago, got it cleaned then wondered if I bought a skirt I couldn't do up or if the dry cleaners shrunk it.  Pretty sure it was them.  Anyhoo, after Whole 30, it fit!  Ten days later, it was a Christmas miracle I got it done up!
 You may think I'm just rocking the pretty festive red skirt and sweatshirt combo to be trendy, but in reality, I needed something loose on top in case I had to undo my skirt! 

The theme for our party was "Favourite Things" which I've done a few times and love it every time!  We each chose one of our favourite things, then brought two of them, then drew two names to give our favourites to!  I love to see what everyone considers a favourite!  It is as good as Splurge Sorority reveals in my opinion!  This time, I landed a Bath and Body Works candle and soap that smells like baking.  Maybe that plus the skirt will deter me from the holiday 5 10 7.  Naw, who am I kidding.  My second favourite take-home was a beautiful pottery candy salad cereal bowl (her hubby is a pottery artist, so lucky) and the perfect little Tupperware container for cereal salad candy.
Tank and tights from my closet, though I have no clue where those tights came from.
Anyone missing blue printed tights?

I wore my elephant pendant from She Does Create because my selection for my favourite thing was an elephant pendant in MUSTARD with red accent beads!  I would have taken a photo but I didn't think my work colleagues would like their busts posted on the World Wide Web.  It was a little hard to share because I don't have a mustard elephant myself!!  However, my work peeps are so awesome that I really was happy to send the elephants off to good homes!

For my second Dressember festive casual party, I chose lace and gold and texture as the festive elements of my ensemble...
Lace top $6, polka dot skirt $4.90 VV Boutique

The party was hosted by my friend, fellow thrifting enthusiast and hands-down most amazing day home ever (she has even won awards so it's not just me that recognizes her extraordinary skills) and I knew she would appreciate my pattern mixing! 
 This skirt is considerably more forgiving, and good thing too because I ate.
And ate and ate.
And ate.
(My friend is an incredible hostess.)
I didn't realize how much I would love this skirt with tights but man oh man, I felt Sassy!

I have a couple more festive casual events this month so we shall see what else Dressember pulls from the closet!

1 comment:

Comments make my day!