Tuesday 4 June 2013

Canadian Tuxedo (AKA Denim on Denim)

My hot date Janelle posed a question to me yesterday: "Can I wear a Canadian Tuxedo?"  While I was thrilled to be asked for style advice, I actually had no idea what a Canadian Tuxedo was (to my credit).  In her usual kind way, she explained to "the professional" that a Canadian Tuxedo is denim on denim.  Her style advisor/Jill-of-all-trades says "NO."  And I agree if we're talking about this:
http://americanenglishblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/canadian-tuxedo-britney-and-justin.jpeg
or this
http://dopecanadiantuxedo.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/web_chanel_man__1406217cl-5.jpeg
However, denim on denim is a pretty serious trend and a lot of cool kids are doing it.  So that must make it okay.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lsp2w7IICT1qb1l0lo1_500.jpg
Let's take some cues from my friend and future client, Ryan.  (His grasp needs a good OT, and I've volunteered because I am very generous.)
  • it is okay and even preferable to wear different washes together
  • as with the ugly pretty cardi, go forth with attitude
  • and since most of us reading this are girls, style it up with accessories/hair/make-up
There were a surprising number of stylish examples when I Googled "Canadian Tuxedo images."  This is the photo I posted on my Facebook page last night:
I like the variety represented in these images, even if you pass (as I would highly recommend) on wearing a cropped Mickey Mouse tee.  Of course, I woke up this morning and wanted to wear a Canadian Tuxedo.  I looked to my VV Boutique pieces for inspiration and came up with this:
 Levis skirt $5, Esprit tank $2.50
Gap jacket circa 2002

I don't have any denim bottoms from VV other than this skirt, so that was an easy choice.  For the top, I had on my chambray initially but didn't feel it was fitted enough, though I imagine it would work well with a jegging in a different wash (now added to hunting list) as in the examples above.  My denim jacket was a little too close in wash for my liking, but I was determined to wear the tuxedo so I let it slide.  As for the gray tee I envisioned with my suit, guess what?  I don't have one!!!  This is a huge glaring hole in my wardrobe and must be rectified ASAP!  I tried a statement tee but, being my day off, I wanted something that wasn't, er, fitted, and liked the contrast of the orange.
To style it up, I added layers of necklaces from VV Boutique ($2.10 and $0.70) and She Does Create and some noticeable earrings ($2.10 from VV)
When I say "style it up" I include hair and make-up because without, there's a higher likelihood this look could turn frumpy.
I wouldn't call The Canadian Tuxedo my chicest look ever, but it was comfortable and had at least a little personality.  As for the denim on denim, no one recoiled in terror at the sight of me, so I'm calling it a win.
 With my Miz Mooz Pauly wedges $5.60 VV Boutique

On a scale of 1 to 10 Ryan Goslings, how hot would you rate my look?  Never mind, don't answer that.  Instead, three questions:
  1. What do YOU think?    
  2. Do YOU wear denim on denim?   
  3. Should I style my entire family in Canadian Tuxedos then go out to the mall?

2 comments:

  1. 1. I love the look...worn very well as usual.
    2. I have not worn denim on denim, but only because my current denim pieces do not have the right shapes to be worn together and are now on my hunting list.
    3. Please let me know if and when you will be styling the entire family so I will be there for the photo op. I would suggest Canada Day.

    Bonus Answer: You are indeed a kind and generous person to offer your OT services to Mr. Gosling.

    On a scale of 1 to 10 Ryan Goslings your look is 7.5...rated low because it's a tough scale...

    ReplyDelete
  2. U have just made it look good! I agree w two tones -mmm

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day!