Thursday 23 May 2013

Styling an Ugly Pretty Cardi

I tend to think about what I'm going to wear while I'm in the shower.  By then, I've been up for a while and have an idea about the weather, my mood and if I have time to shave my legs.  This morning, I knew what I had in mind just wasn't quite right.  Didn't feel right.  Then I realized what I had wrong.  I like to wear my new pieces a couple times in a row, right off the bat.  I don't know why, but it is a trend.  As soon as I realized that, I knew what to wear.
 MEC skirt $5, Cleo knit tank $4.50, belt $2.10 all from VV Boutique

I had worn this camping skirt once before but didn't talk much about it, and the stripe knit tank only made it onto my Facebook page as an #ootd selfie.  They wanted to go to work with me!  So I dressed them up and took them to work.
Miz Mooz wedges $5.60 VV Boutique
Hair dressed up a la sock bun.

I wore the tank long to cover the casual-style pockets of the skirt, belted it because you can wear a belt even if you have boobs it added interest, then took my inspiration from the gold buckle for accessories.
 Yellow bib necklace gift from my sister, earrings from Accessorize.*

The wind was blowing and the ensemble needed a little something something so I added this vintage cardi, a gift from my sister for working the Mercer MarketI love this cardi.  It reminds me of those ModCloth or Anthro pieces that garner a second glance.  I summed it up for a colleague, and a warning, I'm not going to mince words: "The sweater is borderline ugly but looks cool if you're pretty."  Actually, that's not quite accurate.  I would like to revise my statement to: "The sweater is borderline ugly but looks cool if you wear it with style and attitude."  You pick.
Gold bracelet from Accessorize.  

I really liked how the pieces came together.  You'd never guess that was a camping skirt out on the town with all those other interesting friends.  Styling lessons:
  1. Don't try to match the ugly.  Instead, combine interesting pieces with some common element - for example, the gold accessories or the brown hues.
  2. Include a neutral something as rest and retreat place for the eyes.  OTs you know what I'm talking about.
  3. Go forth with attitude
Pretty easy, huh?!  Now you try and report back!

*I lost an earring.  I am pretty sad about that as I hate to lose any of my Accessorize stuff since it's no longer availableShe Does Create, I will be needing a custom pair of small goldish earrings ASAP.  Get your people to call my people.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day!