Tuesday 20 November 2012

Layers are as Easy as 1-2-3

I'm guessing anyone stopping by this place is getting tired of seeing my giant pink snow pants.  Luckily I have some awesome new inspiration thanks to the 50% off sale yesterday at VV Boutique!  I joined two of my Splurge Sorority sisters and scored 6 tops, 1 pair of pants and 1 pair of shoes for $28!  AND I was *least* successful!  My gals made out like bandits!  So. Much. Fun.

I have a hunting list saved on Work Flowy to guide my shopping, but when thrifting, you need to be prepared to grab what draws your eye and give it a try.  Hence, I will *need* to go again because, believe it or not, there are some deficits in my wardrobe.  Woe is me.  Fortunately, this VV Boutique adventure has allowed me to build up my wardrobe with interesting pieces to practice my layering skills.  Here was my process today...

One layer:
Floral top $7 VV Boutique
Oxmo leggings $40 C'est Sera
I've been debating about this top.  Though it's a favourite, it's a little shapeless on its own.  Also, it is winter here.  I am cold.  So I added a second layer:
Might not be your thing, but I like the red popping out from the 3/4 sleeves.  Still missing something, so I added layer 3:
Charcoal cardi $10 VV Boutique
Last touch, some accessories...
Red seed necklace $2 VV Boutique
Earrings by my talented sister...
Today was a casual day for me.  I wanted to be able to chase my kids at their library program and be comfortable all day... I felt like I was in my jammies.  Think I will hold onto this floral top for the time being!
Of course, I cannot wait to start wearing my new finds so I snapped some shots while choosing an outfit for tomorrow.  I have a presentation for work in a small rural school that I don't often consult to.  Not the time to pull out the yellow pants.  Here's one layer: 
Same Gap long sleeve tee in blue $6
Teal belt (gift) $3 VV Boutique
Black pants from Costco circa 100 years ago.
I think they were $20.  They no longer fit well and the style isn't very contemporary
but they're my only black work pants so they'll do.

The teal belt jazzes it up and picks up the colour in what I really want to wear...
Violet & Claire floral peplum ruffle blouse $3.50 VV Boutique

I know this screams winter, so obviously I had to layer up to make it work.  Here's 1 + 2 + 3 (my vintage Bordeaux velvet blazer)...
$8 VV Boutique
Bangles, gift from my sis
The belt is still there in case the peplum flutters about as I deliver my earth-shattering talk!  I might even throw on my teal necklace and/or a scarf if I get wild and crazy (or cold).
Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Not earth-shattering, but pretty mix of textures and colours!
  
I know, floral and November seem incongruent (yet I've done it twice...in one day), so let's just call that my Wednesday rebel call!  For less than a latte, I am certain this blouse will earn its keep tomorrow alone and I will, in fact, be indebted to it by the time spring rolls around!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day!